[FFmpeg-devel] Mailing List Delay

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Aug 6 14:20:25 EEST 2021

On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 11:28:19PM +0100, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 8/4/2021 11:03 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >>
> >> * There is no public documentation on:
> >>     * Who owns the physical infra.
> >
> > its all donated one way or another IIRC,
> > I am a bit hesitant to post a names who provide the servers in public
> > for the main server i think its all on the mailing list. Our fate
> > machiene is seperate and provided and payed for by a FFmpeg developer
> > Theres also a server hosting backups, that reminds me that the backups
> > should be tested. That requirres a volunteer probably
>
> I don't think we need to post people's names, but we genrally do
> keep things open here, so I assumed the intent should be the same.
> Reimbursements, funds, hardware, etc. are all posted here.
>
> It does seem somewhat suspicious to me that people providing servers
> to us for free would not want others to know who they are. Maybe I am
> paranoid...

We do credit them

also i belive i heared somewhere that they wanted more traffic for some
peering stuff or something. This is outside my area of knowledge but it
might shift the cost of providing the server to us.

> >>     * Where it is located or who hosts it.
> >
> > traceroute ffmpeg.org points to telepoint.bg
>
> OK.
>
> I hope the admins have a direct contact there in case of issue.

I have one contact, i will check and see if we can get some redundant one

> >>     * Who has admin access and how to contact them.
> >
> > project server line in MAINTAINERS file, not everyone is active but even inactive
> > ones can help in an emergency potentially
>
> I more meant: Is that list an exhaustive / complete list of who has
> access on the servers? If so, apologies. It is not clear to me if it is.
> Honestly, mostly due to it being unclea who the owners / hosters are and
> if they have access.

I checked the list of keys and i believe ubitux, Tim Nicholson and Roberto Togni
have access too
Tim IIRC did some work on the mail stuff longer ago but ive not heared from
him since a long time. ubitux provided a server to us for a while
There are no other keys on the main host server or main virtual one, i didnt
check the other virtual machienes
The hoster would of course have physical access

That said, if anyone of the people having admin access currently would want
to help maintain anything like the mail stuff, iam certainly not unhappy about
that.

> >>     * Any way to audit admin access.
> >
> > What do you mean by "audit admin access" ?
>
> A way to know accessed the server and when, should anything bad happen and
> who has access - that cannot be deleted locally by someone with root. Especially
> on the git server.
>
> I may have made a bad assumption here if this is already in place. Apologies if so.
> To my knowledge, it isn't, though.

Iam not aware of something like that being in place.
but developer git is provided by videolan. We just provide the webpage git
and mirror the ffmpeg git for public access with matching SSL certificates
which videolan would not be able to do as they have no SSL certs for ffmpeg.org
we could also "easily" move the developer git to our server but there was no
reason to do that and "if it aint broken ..."

That said, is there something specific you would suggest should be done/put
in place for "audit admin access" ?

[...]
> > All this said, the truth with open source projects probably is as long as
> > it works well enough noone volunteers to help.
>
> This is true. You can consider this me volunteering to help if you need it
> somewhere.

ok, this is good to know

thx

Avoid a single point of failure, be that a person or equipment.