[FFmpeg-devel] Question about HEIF/HEIC support

Tom Needham 06needhamt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 14:36:40 EEST 2020

Hello

I have spent some time researching the possibility of adding demuxing and
muxing support for the HEIF image format into FFmpeg when I came across
this GSOC project from last year.
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2019/projects/5632663078043648/.
Although it appears the resulting work was never sent back to FFmpeg.

After doing a bit more digging I found the Github repository of the author
of the original work
https://github.com/Swaraj1998/FFmpeg/commit/9a885cddb3550ab863a60d02c5fb78e4ae206cf1
and there is a commit there that seems to contain the required code for
HEIF demuxing, I have compiled that branch locally and it seems to handle
all the samples I could throw at it.

Was there a reason this work was not pushed back to FFmpeg? If it is just a
matter of updating the patch to work on the latest master. I would be happy
to help out.

Thanks
Tom