[FFmpeg-devel] about mpeg-2 audio (note - NOT AAC)

Amon Gibson Albuquerque Nunes amon.nunes at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 23 22:09:18 EEST 2020

so, i was researching some MPEG history and i wondered what would happen if ffmpeg had actual decoding (and encoding) support for MPEG-2 Audio...
no it's not AAC, it's what MPEG has called a "backwards compatible" extension that "enhances" MPEG-1 audio that allows multichannel encoding of up to 5.1 channels max as well as additional sample rates and bitrates for MPEG-1 Audio Layer I, II, and III.

i also wondered what would happen if ffmpeg had actual encoding support for MPEG-1 Audio Layer I.

i'm merely asking this out of curiosity.