[FFmpeg-devel] Next developer meeting

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Nov 12 10:55:09 EET 2020

Ronald S. Bultje (12020-11-11):
> > Also, I believe it would be good for us internally, since it would
> > - allow other libraries to do IO cleanly without depending on lavf
> > - force us to clean up avio public API, which is not in a great shape
>
> Avio public API would be great, regardless of library split. Certain
> companies using ffmpeg in their transcoding system want only their own I/O.

We completely can decide to clean up the public API without splitting
any library. And I completely agree, this would be an excellent and
useful task.

> I doubt they care much for the binary size saved from not linking to lavio,
> but stable public API is important.

Anyway, any project that cares about the binary size will not rely on
pre-built FFmpeg, they will build their own. That is why splitting the
libraries is useless in that regard: the ability to disable components
gives the same benefits, but more and better.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George