[FFmpeg-devel] Next developer meeting

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Wed Nov 11 17:45:22 EET 2020

Quoting James Almer (2020-11-11 14:13:07)
> On 11/11/2020 10:05 AM, Thilo Borgmann wrote:

> >> AFAICT i/o operations shall not be separated from lavformat. If I understood it correctly.
> >
> > ... shall BE sepearated...
>
> What i know we were discussing was to merge lavd into lavf, since their
> current dependency state is pretty hacky and makes development and
> extension of certain lavf public structs a pain.
> It's why i didn't apply my iterate api set just yet.

When this topic last came up, it seemed that nobody disagrees about
merging lavd into lavf, so I am currently working on it. Patches soon.

> I don't recall anything about splitting IO, but what does it achieve
> beyond making lavf lighter? Are there users out there that could care
> about linking to an hypothetical lavio while not caring about other lavf
> functionality?

Yes, I recall several people expressing interest in a separate libavio.

Also, I believe it would be good for us internally, since it would
- allow other libraries to do IO cleanly without depending on lavf
- force us to clean up avio public API, which is not in a great shape

--
Anton Khirnov