[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] XComposite window capture demuxer (Linux)

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Wed May 20 16:24:20 EEST 2020

On 20.05.2020 14:31, Nicolas George wrote:
> Anton Khirnov (12020-05-20):
>>> You said it: "from the user". The user chose it. The documentation says
>>> "this demuxer user OpenGL, don't use it if applications are not ready
>>> for it", the user chose to use it.
>>
>> That means we are now forcing all the application to be aware that
>> certain demuxers are "special" in certain ways. That is a recipe for
>> bugs. I do not think we should have any special demuxers or muxers.
>
> Absolutely not. Please read more carefully what I wrote. There is no
> need to have anything special in the application. The only need is to
> trust the user to read the documentation.

An idea that came up in IRC: Add a new OpenGL-Feature-Flag, and require
an explicit library user opt-in for those filters/demuxers to work, to
avoid any accidents and make sure any user of them is aware of what
they're getting into.
Also avoids any user-provideable FFmpeg arguments from messing up the
hosting application (for example in the context of OBS).