[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] XComposite window capture demuxer (Linux)

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Wed May 20 15:23:57 EEST 2020

Quoting Nicolas George (2020-05-20 11:34:04)
> Anton Khirnov (12020-05-20):
> > To a calling program, this demuxer would appear as any other demuxer.
> > Many programs using libavformat will take the demuxer name from the user
> > and use it as-is, which might break them in non-obvious ways if they use
> > OpenGL themselves.
>
> You said it: "from the user". The user chose it. The documentation says
> "this demuxer user OpenGL, don't use it if applications are not ready
> for it", the user chose to use it.

That means we are now forcing all the application to be aware that
certain demuxers are "special" in certain ways. That is a recipe for
bugs. I do not think we should have any special demuxers or muxers.

> > Could you please stop with this utterly infuriating discussion style? I
> > mean this passive-aggressive "we" and presenting your personal opinions
> > as absolute inviolable truths. I would highly appreciate it if you
> > considered the possibility that
> > - your opinions are just that - your opinions; they are not necessarily
> >   right
> > - other people may have opinions that disagree with yours; that does not
> >   necessarily mean they are wrong
> > I know I am not alone in the impression that arguing with you is
> > pointless since you seem to treat discussions as something that you need
> > to win and disregard any arguments you disagree with.
>
> Honestly, I have the exact same feeling when arguing with Lynne or you.

Feel free to point out where I am behaving like that. I make explicit
effort to separate my opinions from objective truths.
In any case, "other people do it too" is not much of a counter-argument
here.

--
Anton Khirnov