[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] XComposite window capture demuxer (Linux)

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Wed May 20 09:28:56 EEST 2020

On Tue, 19 May 2020, Nicolas George wrote:

> Marton Balint (12020-05-19):
>> As Nicolas mentioned, kmsgrab practically requires root. Also, I tried it on
>> Intel half a year ago on Ubuntu 18.04, and it simply does not work
>> correctly. There were crashes, there were random failures with cryptic error
>> messages, usually at the beginning of the capture, somtimes in the middle of
>> it. And the captured frame was missing some of the drawn opengl primitives,
>> it looked like kmsgrab grabbed the frame from the back buffer and not the
>> front.
>>
>> So kmsgab on Intel is a no-no for me.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation.
>
> Could you weigh in on the issue of filters/devices changing the OpenGL
> global state, please?

If that was the only concern against it, then I'd say it is acceptable.
But there are some other concerns, also it seems to me xcbgrab can be
improved to reach the same smoothness as this attempt, and that was the
main distinctive feature of it. With that advantage lost, I'd say fixing
xcbgrab is the better bet.

Regards,
Marton