[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] XComposite window capture demuxer (Linux)

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue May 19 13:40:02 EEST 2020

Lynne (12020-05-19):
> There already is a zero-overhead capture on linux - kmsgrab. It works
> on AMD and Intel.

The doc says:

	Requires either DRM master or CAP_SYS_ADMIN to run.

Does it work for a normal user on a desktop distribution freshly
installed, without configuration?

(I should test, but all my boxes are very far from the default
configuration.)

> I'm against any OpenGL code being ran anywhere in our libraries since
> it will disturb OpenGL's global state, breaking any OpenGL users of
> our libraries (there are quite a lot). Yes, there are also people who
> want to screencapture and use OpenGL. I'm one. This is also why we
> don't have OpenGL filtering in libavfilter. So that's a big NAK for
> me.

As long as the devices and filters using OpenGL are clearly marked as
such, and that the consequences of using the are documented, I see no
reason to refuse them. Let us trust users. This is me NAKing your NAK.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George