[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] XComposite window capture demuxer (Linux)

Emanuele Oriani ema at fastwebnet.it
Thu May 7 20:00:15 EEST 2020

Hi FFMPEG devel,

I have been writing a simple XComposite window capture demuxer, heavily
inspired from x11grab sources and OBS Window capture logic/code.

I would like to give back to the community and share the sources; before
I would formally submit for a review/patch, I would really appreciate if
someone could have a high level pass at the code (it's relatively simple
actually) and point out any major issues/problems/...

The code is available as part of a simple test application on github, at:

https://github.com/Emanem/replayer/blob/master/src/xcompgrab.c

Being the author of the code I would be happy to re-license it to be
used in ffmpeg/libav* mainline once I get the OK from you.
In order to compile/execute this code, one needs the following dev packages:

libav*-dev, libx11-dev, libxcomposite-dev, OpenGL headers/libs.

Libraries to be linked are:

-lavcodec -lavformat -lavdevice -lavutil -lswscale -lX11 -lXcomposite -lGL

I've tested it and it's working fine on both AMD and Nvidia hardware.

Let me know if this is of interest, otherwise no worries and thanks
again for the fantastic library/software.

Emanuele