[FFmpeg-devel] subtitles filter and -ss

Manolis Stamatogiannakis mstamat at gmail.com
Thu May 7 18:28:45 EEST 2020

Thanks for the tip Nicolas.

Well, -copyts works fine when you're re-encoding at full speed.

But when used in combination with -re, as shown below, it prevents the
input from being "fast-seeked" to the desired position. So, it's kind of
useless.

ffmpeg -re -copyts -ss 20:10.00 -i input.mp4
        -vf subtitles=subs.srt \
        -c:v libx264 crf 25 -c:a aac -ab 160k \
        -strict experimental \
        -f flv $RTMP_URL

I'm not intimate enough with the code to tell if that's a bug or an
inherent limitation of -copyts.

OTOH, the shift option added to the subtitles filter with the patch does
not prevent fast-seeking. And you also have the added benefit of adjusting
subtitles delay without having to rewrite them.

Regards,
Manolis