[FFmpeg-devel] JPEG2000 Decoder/Encoder Enhancements

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Mar 24 22:36:49 EET 2020

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 09:42:07AM +0530, Gautam Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I do not mind spending most of the time myself. I just need a person
> to go to when I have doubts. I really do not mind doing it without it
> being through GSoC either. Just wanted to try contributing to the
> organization.

If you want to do it through gsoc and are eligible you can of course
submit a proposal to google. Of course that doesnt mean that it
would be selected as one of the projects.

> I was thinking about starting by fixing tickets #4601 or
> #4610. Would that be a good way to start?

sure, also if you succeed doing one of these, that should
work as qualification task. (for FFmpeg-gsoc)

Or you can do all this outside gsoc and avoid any stress with
qualification tasks, deadlines and evaluations and all this ...

Thanks

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.