[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Question Regarding Parsing Files with Sections of Unknown Length and No Delimiters

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Mar 16 16:10:41 EET 2020

Anton Khirnov (12020-03-16):
> Impressively overcomplicated.

I suppose it is meant to enhance the compression ratio, with the
assumption that images change less in the time direction than in the y
direction.

> So yeah, either the decoder takes in the entire bitstream and then spits
> out frames one by one or the demuxer does the decoding and exports
> rawvideo data. The former is most likely better.

The demuxer would have to decode all frames and buffer them, that would
not bring any benefit. So I agree, the decode will eat the whole
bitstream and output all frames at once, it's the best solution.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George