[FFmpeg-devel] libavformat/avisynth: AvxSynth deprecation and switch to AviSynth+

Stephen Hutchinson qyot27 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 05:27:12 EET 2020

With the release of version 3.5 earlier this evening, AviSynth+ can now
be built and used natively on the same platforms AvxSynth could, making
AvxSynth completely obsolete.

Due to that, is there a preference for how we should handle this?  I
have two different patchsets ready to send.

The first simply adds a warning message that AvxSynth is deprecated and
urges the user to upgrade to AviSynth+ 3.5 or higher.  The actual switch
would then probably occur after the message has been visible for one or
two releases of FFmpeg.

The second just up and removes the AvxSynth-specific branching and
streamlines the demuxer so that it assumes only AviSynth(+) is being
used at all times, with the USING_AVISYNTH checks reverted back to
simple _WIN32 at the spots it's still necessary to compensate for
platform differences.

On the one hand, it would be kind of rude to apply the second patchset
with no advance warning to users that AvxSynth will suddenly cease to work.

But on the other hand, AvxSynth itself is such a dead project at this
point that the demuxer was always lopsided in favor of Windows and the
vast majority of users probably aren't/weren't even aware AvxSynth
existed, let alone that FFmpeg could use it (I still see people calling
the ability to open AviSynth scripts a Windows-only feature, even though
it's been possible on Linux, et al., with AvxSynth for the last 7-7.5
years, with FFmpeg and x264 both gaining the ability to use it in
February/March 2013).