[FFmpeg-devel] To Speed Up thumbnail creation - picture & video

Arunava Banerjee arunava.banerjee at capitalnumbers.com
Mon Jun 22 07:58:07 EEST 2020

Hello,

We have been using FFMPEG library to create the following thumbnails from
videos:
a. picture
b. video - for example a 60secs video thumbnail.

Our video sizes are about 200 - 300 MB. We are using a PHP program to
transfer command to the shell for FFMPEG executable to generate the
thumbnails.

The videos exists on AWS S3, and we are fetching them using S3 signature
url, generating the thumbs and uploading back.

We have noticed that FFMPEG takes quite sometime to create the thumbnails,
which is creating a wait time on the part of the interface.

Please let us know if there could be a way, we can fasten this process.
Do such params exist in FFMPEG ?

The time for creation on a local system using S3 is given hereunder:

To create a picture:
real 0m37.618s
user 0m17.791s
sys 0m0.783s