[FFmpeg-devel] MPEG-2 FLAGS2_FAST benchmarks

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Jun 14 19:32:15 EEST 2020

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 05:05:35PM +0100, Kieran Kunhya wrote:
> In addition here are results when precomputing the quant tables:
>
> Precalculated
> 6439
> 6424
> 6407
> 6436
> 6437
> Mean 6428.6
> Stdev 13.42758355

does that work on a wider range of videos and CPUs ?
from what i remember really long ago, that codecs which change the QP
alot between MBs might need too much data cache on some CPUs for this
to be faster.
But time has passed and the environment changed so maybe this is better
now.

But either way, great work!
please submit a patch for this if it is consistently better or equal

Thanks

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus