[FFmpeg-devel] Building with WSL instead of MSYS?

Jaka Bac jakabac at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 17:08:07 EEST 2020

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 13:26, Timo Rothenpieler <timo at rothenpieler.org>
wrote:

> On 31.07.2020 13:17, Julio César Rocha wrote:
> > Do you use the MSVC compilers?
> > If so, how do you get around compiling linux-type absolute paths with
> > cl.exe? (i.e. /home/user/src/ffmpeg/dir/file.c).
> > Microsoft's CL.EXE does not accept paths beginning with a forward slash.
> >

> I don't, why would I?
> I just installed mingw via Ubuntu repos.

You would want to use MSVC if you want to build shared libs and use them
with any other application that is compiled using MSVC or Intel C++.
struct layout is in C is compiler implementation specific (without
programmer intervention). And many functions use structs as for parameters
making ffmpeg shared libs compiled by GCC unusable in an application
compiled with MSVC