[FFmpeg-devel] AVWriter again (was: v2 1/2] avformat/url: check double dot is not to parent directory)

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Jul 28 11:05:05 EEST 2020

Jean-Baptiste Kempf (12020-07-28):
> How is that different from open_memstream, which is done for this exact purpose?

I am not sure what you are referring to, I do not find a function by
that name in FFmpeg.

Are you referring to avio_open_dyn_buf()?

If so, there are three differences:

- avio_open_dyn_buf() resides in libavformat, and therefore is only
  available for a tiny portion of the project. I had a vague project to
  move part of AVIO to lavu, but it is huge work.

- avio_open_dyn_buf() always uses dynamic allocation. AVWriter starts
  entirely on the stack (or whatever we want), and only resorts to
  dynamic allocation if the buffer becomes too large. As a corollary,
  avio_open_dyn_buf() requires an error check at the beginning, which
  AVWriter does not.

- AVWriter is polymorphic. I have shown only av_dynbuf_writer(), but
  there are others, and applications can implement their own. That is
  the key to the "wonderful features" I have evoked. I would be happy to
  tell more about them.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George