[FFmpeg-devel] working with file descriptors on Android

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Sun Jul 26 22:21:10 EEST 2020

Hi,

Without having too much opinion on the JNI stuff (direct access to
content:// urls might be convenient, but on the other hand, it's not
really something you'd end up with if using the command line tool on its
own - if you have one of those you most probably have some java code for
getting it anyway - as far as I remember...)

  On Sun, 26 Jul 2020, Alex Cohn wrote:

> If this is still out of scope, the alternatives are:
> - to patch the `file:` protocol, and let it understand that
> "/proc/self/69" should not be fopen()-ed but rather parsed to extract and
> use the number as FileContext->fd.
> - to create an `fd:` protocol (which will be equivalent to `pipe:` but
> with close() and seek())
> - to extend the `pipe_options`, introducing `closeable` and `seekable`
> (off by default).

Out of these, I definitely prefer the fd: protocol one.

// Martin