[FFmpeg-devel] Request for Technical committee action

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 20:08:38 EEST 2020

On 7/20/20, Zachariah Brown <zachariah at renewedvision.com> wrote:
> I'm just an independent observer who has submitted just a single trivial
> patch that decided to stay subscribed to this mailing list to keep up to
> date with what is happening. I have no bone in this game but I feel like
> something needs to be said.
>
> Let me just say that this entire thread does not look good on the
> community as a whole. And yes, I read the entire threads before deciding
> to reply to this because I felt compelled to say something.
>
> Paul, no body attacked you in anyway personally. I don't know what
> happened in the past because I've only been here for a couple of months,
> but it was very clear that Steinar was being purely objective about your
> patch. He provided valid criticism (which I agree with after looking at
> his evidence) about the result of the filter. You then proceeded to turn
> the multiple threads into personal attacks and claims that you were
> being discriminated against. That simply isn't the case.
>
> You then proceeded to say that everyone is just wrong with no
> explanation as to why. When asked to leave comments your response was
> effectively "git gud". Comments are just as vital to a well maintained
> code base as good code is. I can say a lot more about this, but I'll
> leave it there.
>
> And now you are threatening to do what? Your initial email in this
> thread was 12 hours ago, and from my limited understanding to how the
> FFmpeg development process works these committees just finished the
> voting process not too long ago and are a new concept entirely. You are
> hardly giving anyone time to look at the situation.
>
> You need to take a chill pill, step back for a few days and let the dust
> settle. I'm not attacking you or being hostile, but your attitude in
> general is not that of someone that I would want to have on my team or
> have access to my code repos. There is a reason for peer review, to
> produce better quality code and a better resulting product. But that
> takes time, you can't rush it or threaten to go around people. That just
> degrades the situation further.

This is not about peer review code or better quality code overall.
If it was about that, mentioned parties would show their pseudo code
to improve current proposed code already.

But instead you all seems to prefer silent non action and to tolerate
such behavior of no pushing important code contributions of same
developer over and over again.

This must stop!