[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Manolis Stamatogiannakis mstamat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:27:44 EEST 2020

Thanks Gerion.

This sounds more or less like what I had in mind (but I was trying to keep
it short).

– The present thread is a non-technical discussion, and branching indeed
helps. The mailing list is perfect for this kind of discussions.
– Patches with narrow scope are focused, technical discussion, which is
unlikely to branch. They can be dispatched and discussed directly as a PR,
either via the web interface or email. This should keep this list more
focused.
– Patches that involve deeper changes can be discussed before materializing
in a PR, in whatever way core developers prefer.

To be clear, by no means I am in favour of deprecating the mailing list.
PRs and Issues are not a panacea. E.g. asking questions by opening issues
on GH/GL is something I would frown upon (and I have seen
happening elsewhere).

Best regards,
Manolis