[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Manolis Stamatogiannakis mstamat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 03:56:28 EEST 2020

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 16:27, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> Manolis Stamatogiannakis (12020-07-07):
> > If I reply to the email, my response will appear online in the issue/PR
> > page.
>
> That is good to know. I have never noticed it documented. Does it work
> reliably?

Haven't noticed any glitches so far.
I can help you test the feature if you want. Just make a dummy public
github repo and send me the details with email.

> > Now, if you also want to review the code of a PRs from mutt, that's
> another
> > discussion.
>
> Not necessarily mutt, but if it's a web browser, then find somebody else
> to review.

Code review on github is pretty nice, if you haven't tried it.

> > Is tree threading that important? A PR is essentially a single thread of
> > discussion.
>
> It is a single thread of discussion until the discussion becomes complex
> and has branches.

This doesn't sound like the common case.
But it should be straightforward to get some statistics on that from the
list archives when a transition is officially discussed.

> > I would first ask why keep using a mailing list to post patches and not
> use
> > PRs. For a 3 commit patch, and 3 people sending feedback a few days
> apart,
> > you have a minimum of 15 emails for everyone on the list. Is that
> efficient?
>
> Actually, since mail servers are much much less resource-consuming that
> web interfaces, it probably is.

Valuing hardware resources more than the time any of us volunteers is a
pretty unorthodox approach.
We are not living in the 60s. Hardware is cheap, programmers are expensive
[1].

[1]
https://blog.codinghorror.com/hardware-is-cheap-programmers-are-expensive/

Best regards,