[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Manolis Stamatogiannakis mstamat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:54:54 EEST 2020

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 14:59, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> Is there a way of interacting with the discussions in GitHub issues
> outside their web interface?
>
> If there is, I never found it. If there is not, then GitHub's issue
> system is just not usable for serious work.

Any activity on issues/PRs I watch on GitHub is also sent to me with email.
If I reply to the email, my response will appear online in the issue/PR
page.
I've been doing that for years. When was the last time you checked?

Now, if you also want to review the code of a PRs from mutt, that's another
discussion.

> (Also, who designs discussion systems without tree threading?!?)

Is tree threading that important? A PR is essentially a single thread of
discussion.
If discussion on the PR carries on, you will anyway start stripping the old
context and respond to the bits of the last email. So tree threading
doesn't do much.

I would first ask why keep using a mailing list to post patches and not use
PRs. For a 3 commit patch, and 3 people sending feedback a few days apart,
you have a minimum of 15 emails for everyone on the list. Is that efficient?

Best regards,
Manolis