[FFmpeg-devel] ABI break in 4.3

Tomas Härdin tjoppen at acc.umu.se
Tue Jul 7 10:00:28 EEST 2020

mån 2020-07-06 klockan 01:28 +0200 skrev Michael Niedermayer:
> On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 11:48:14PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > On Sunday 2020-07-05 23:17, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > so its all doable in theory, but at that point the question arises, can we
> > > maybe generate this automatically from the APIchanges file if we decide to
> > > do that.
> > > APIchanges should list all added functions and the version numbers.
> >
> > APIchanges would have to become more "machine-readable".
>
> yes
>

> > Like, for example,
> > https://github.com/bminor/glibc/blob/master/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/64/libc.abilist
>
> machines are not that stupid. The existing format is fine, it just has to be
> consistent
> just consider
> git grep '[Aa]dd [a-z0-9_]*()' doc/APIchanges
> that probably catches most added functions, the previous hash from each
> gives you the git version to match it to.
> Sure it wont work for 100% but the 5% this fails for can be just edited
> to be consistent so it works too and it keeps the format enjoyable for humans
> to read and write

We could go either way really. APIchanges could be partly generated
from the .v files. But I think something like what Michael suggests
here is easier simply because we edit APIchanges manually already, and
the .v files are basically dummies.

We don't need to parse everything that's in APIchanges, just make sure
future additions to it follow some machine-readable format. Unless
someone wants to spend the time backporting this to previous releases.

/Tomas