[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Olly Woodman ollywoodman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:58:58 EEST 2020

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 05:54, Jim DeLaHunt <list+ffmpeg-dev at jdlh.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > think it is more the result of the stress of success and the stress of a
> > fork. Success can stifle creativity, because creativity implies the risk
> > of failure: the project has become advert to risk.
> >
> > It has evolved that way, but are we fine with it?
> >
> > I personally am not….
>
> I am really happy to see this discussion starting up. It is good timing;
> some new governance committees are forming. They might be able to take
> it on. From my perspective as an outside observer, I think the project
> will benefit from you — the people who are at the heart of the project —
> having this discussion.
>
> For what purpose do all of you contribute to FFmpeg? What is the good
> you see FFmpeg doing? What is FFmpeg's purpose?  What stands in the way
> of FFmpeg achieving its purpose, and of you achieving your own
> individual purpose?
>
> For me, several comments in the thread resonated. They have a theme:
> bringing in new participants:
>
> On 2020-07-04 08:37, James Almer wrote:
> > …Another thing worth mentioning is a lack of new blood. Despite
> > participating in GSoC for a long while, i can't name a student that
> > stuck around after the fact. Mind, there are new devs that started
> > contributing for other reasons, but perhaps not enough?
>

> On 2020-07-04 11:20, Soft Works wrote:
>
> > …As a developer (without a well-known name) who wants to contribute a
> patch,
> > things can be quite frustrating here. When that patch accidentally hits
> an
> > area of one the very few who are caring and friendly - you're lucky.
> > But otherwise, a patch will either be ignored or talked into infinity.
> >
> > I have a number of things to contribute, but after it didn’t work well
> > with small things, I decided not to bother with the bigger ones.
>
> On 2020-07-05 11:42, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 08:13:25PM +0200, Manolis Stamatogiannakis wrote:
> >> As a fresh contributor, setting up git send-email was a hassle, but
> >> not an insurmountable obstacle.
> > Speaking only for myself, having sent a single-digit number of patches
> > to FFmpeg ever: Setting up git send-email was not a big turnoff. Having
> your
> > patch being not responded to (whether being forgotten, not found
> interesting
> > enough, or whatever other reason) was.
>

> To the extent you decide that you want new participants to join you on
> FFmpeg, I'm sorry to say, I think you have a problem. My own experience
> is that this project is more hostile to newcomers than many other free
> culture projects I know (e.g. Python, Thunderbird, Gnucash, Drupal,
> MusicBrainz, Wikipedia). It's not just your rudeness to each other on
> the email lists. It's not just the inattention to patches from new
> developers. It's also a simple lack of telling newcomers: welcome, we
> are glad you are here, we want your help, we will help you learn.

As someone who recently tried to send their first patch to FFmpeg,
I'd also like to +1 this. It was completely ignored, despite sending
three reminders (sending a reminder is suggested in the FFmpeg
documentation for submitting patches). Perhaps it was ignored for
a good reason, but a non-response does not tell me that, and nor
does it encourage further involvement.

I've also been quite shocked by some of the rudeness on this mailing
list, and the level to which it appears to be tolerated (or at least, the
extent to which there appear to be no repercussions for those who
repeatedly behave in a way that I'd consider unacceptable in a
professional context).