[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jul 6 10:47:14 EEST 2020

On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 06:18:20PM +0100, Kieran Kunhya wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 6:01 PM Kieran Kunhya <kieran618 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Going back to the original point in hand.
> > Many patches aren't getting reviewed and pushed any more.
> >
> > In part this is because in 2020 whether we like it or not mailing
> > lists are not the way to do Git based development.
> > The kernel is the exception to the rule, as Linus says it has a whole
> > load of grey-bearded system maintainers who are paid full time to work
> > on it.
> >
> > For new contributors git send-email is annoying. For people wanting to
> > push, the .mbox format is annoying, Gmail doesn't support it any more.
> > And you can't get new contributors to start using CLI based email
> > clients or run their own mail server, that's not going to happen.
> >
> > A solution like Gitlab is the only way forward. It has worked well for
> > dav1d, it can run regression tests on all platforms for all commits:
> > https://code.videolan.org/videolan/dav1d
> >
> > Merges are done with one push of a button. Yes, the branch sprawl is
> > not great but it's better than now.
> > It has inline patch reviews which are nice.
> >
> > Whether we like it or not web interfaces are the way 95% of the world
> > does Git and we have to move with the times.
>
> Not my intention to top post but gmail hides quoted text.
> Forgot to add that git send-email is quite complex to setup now
> without your own mail server.
> This also restricts our ability to add new developers.

Is it? It works easily for me just using msmtp or a similar
sendmail implementation that speaks SMTP.
No need for a mail server.
If you think it's an issue, maybe it needs to be documented?
That said, email lists are bad for quick drive-by patches
and there is far too much on this list.
Then again, github/gitlab aren't good for reviews either,
and plain atrocious for community and discussion, IMHO.

Best regards,
Reimar