[FFmpeg-devel] Wow! SMPTE specs and journal articles, free (pandemic special)

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-dev at jdlh.com
Mon Jul 6 05:23:43 EEST 2020

The Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers (SMPTE) is making
available 16 standards documents and 12 journal articles for free
download at https://www.smpte.org/free-standards-and-publications [1],
until 21. July 2020.

I think this is fantastic news, and might be of interest to many on this
list. It deserves more than a passing mention. I suspect that FFmpeg
already contains code related to some of these standards. Comparing that
code to the official standards might be helpful. Also, there are
probably references in comments to these standards, which would be even
better if they uses specific section references to and consistent
wording with the standards. Maybe some of these standards will be the
basis of future FFmpeg features. And people who are interested in the
the media operations FFmpeg does, might also be interested in the bigger
pictures of the journal articles.

My favourites on the list include ST 12-{1,2,3}:2014, previously known
as SMPTE 12M, defining timecodes and and how to represent them as audio
signals and as ancillary data. I have a client who would love to have
better support for this in FFmpeg. I'm delighted to see that Limin Wang
is adding[2] support for this data type.

SMPTE says, "In these challenging times, access to learning and
information is now more necessary than ever. And, as we continue to
socially distance and safeguard ourselves and our loved ones, we want to
share some of our SMPTE Standards and publications from our Motion
Imaging Journal in hopes that you find these helpful to you and your work."

The documents are provided in HTML form and as downloadable PDF files.
The list is:

SMPTE Standards

  • ST 2110-10:2017 - SMPTE Standard - Professional Media Over Managed
IP Networks: System Timing and Definitions
  • ST 2110-20:2017 - SMPTE Standard - Professional Media Over Managed
IP Networks: Uncompressed Active Video
  • ST 2110-21:2017 - SMPTE Standard - Professional Media Over Managed
IP Networks: Traffic Shaping and Delivery Timing for Video
  • ST 2110-30:2017 - SMPTE Standard - Professional Media Over Managed
IP Networks: PCM Digital Audio
  • ST 2110-40:2018 - SMPTE Standard - Professional Media Over Managed
IP Networks: SMPTE ST 291-1 Ancillary Data
  • ST 2059-1:2015 - SMPTE Standard - Generation and Alignment of
Interface Signals to the SMPTE Epoch
  • ST 2059-2:2015 - SMPTE Standard - SMPTE Profile for Use of IEEE-1588
Precision Time Protocol in Professional Broadcast Applications
  • ST 2067-2:2020 - SMPTE Standard - Interoperable Master Format — Core
Constraints
  • ST 2067-3:2020 - SMPTE Standard - Interoperable Master Format —
Composition Playlist
  • ST 2067-5:2020 - SMPTE Standard - Interoperable Master Format —
Essence Component
  • ST 2067-21:2020 - SMPTE Standard - Interoperable Master Format —
Application #2E
  • ST 12-1:2014 - SMPTE Standard - Time and Control Code
  • ST 12-2:2014 - SMPTE Standard - Transmission of Time Code in the
Ancillary Data Space
  • ST 12-3:2016 - SMPTE Standard - Time Code for High Frame Rate
Signals and Formatting in the Ancillary Data Space
  • ST 2022-7:2019 - SMPTE Standard - Seamless Protection Switching of
RTP Datagrams
  • ST 2034-1:2017 - SMPTE Standard - Archive eXchange Format (AXF) -
Part 1: Structure & Semantics

Motion Imaging Journal

  • Time-Compensated Remote Production Over IP, Ed Calverley, June 2018
  • Analyzing SMPTE ST 2110 Streams Using EBU’s Open-Source Software,
Ievgen Kostiukevych, Willem Vermost, and Pedro Ferreira, May 2019
  • Interoperable Workflows Through IMF Output Profile Lists, Arjun
Ramamurthy and Raymond Yeung, August 2019
  • AI in Production: Video Analysis and Machine Learning for Expanded
Live Events Coverage, Craig Wright, Jack Allnutt, Rosie Campbell,
Michael Evans, Ronan Forman, James Gibson, Stephen Jolly, Lianne Kerlin,
Susan Lechelt, Graeme Phillipson, and Matthew Shotton, March 2020
  • Editing in the Cloud, Ulrich Ening and Karsten Schragmann, March 2020
  • Applying Automation to High-Quality/Low-Cost Orchestra Live
Streaming, David R. Chalmers, April 2020
  • Streaming Video Fundamentals, Jason Thibeault, April 2020
  • How OTT Services Can Match the Quality of Broadcast, Thierry
Fautier, April 2020
  • Optimizing Mass-Scale Multiscreen Video Delivery, Yuriy Reznik,
Xiangbo Li, Karl Lillevold, Robert Peck, Thom Shutt, and Peter Howard,
April 2020
  • How Independent are HDR, WCG, and HFR in Human Visual Perception and
the Creative Process, S. T. McCarthy May-June 2016
  • Cloud Transition Patterns for Media Enterprises, Shailendra Mathur,
SMPTE 2017 ATC
  • Quality Control & Monitoring in OTT Workflow, Ramandeep Sandhu,
SMPTE Australia 2017

Many thanks to Andreas Rheinhardt for mentioning[3] that these documents
are available.

[1] https://www.smpte.org/free-standards-and-publications
[2] http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-June/264781.html
[3] http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-June/265336.html

Enjoy!

     —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada