[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Mon Jul 6 02:27:52 EEST 2020

On 06.07.2020 01:18, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 09:56:02PM +0000, Soft Works wrote:
>> ... A significant part of code reviews are code-style violations. This is
>> really not something where humans should need to spend time for when
>> reviewing a patch.
>
> you are correct but that is also the easy part of reviews.
> Its not what makes reviews time consuming.
> Rather while reviewing for technical stuff one notices maybe a formating
> issue
>

>> Neither should it be required that Michael responds manually each time
>> by stating "breaks FATE".
>
> We already have fully automatic build and fate tests for submitted patches
> its done by patchwork which should send a private mail to the submitter of
> a patch affected.
>
> Still not every environment is the same, and it passing on the patchwork
> box doesnt mean it builds on my mingw or mips environments for example.

It also very frequently fails to properly handle large and complex
series, with some of the patches getting new versions.

Also can't properly handle testing patches for stuff it cannot build,
because it's for a different arch or needs a very specific library.
But that would equally affect any kind of Gitlab/Github Workflow we
could set up.