[FFmpeg-devel] patch submission questions

Manolis Stamatogiannakis mstamat at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 16:42:34 EEST 2020

Hello,

I'm trying to submit a patch for adding a "shift" option to subtitles/ass
filters. Initial submission was ok, but resubmitting after addressing some
emails didn't go as expected.

I have the following two questions on the process:

Q1: How do you get the "v2" label when you resubmit a patch? I thought this
would happen auto-magically, but it didn't.
And I couldn't find anything relevant in
https://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Contributing

Q2: In a patchset consisting of several commits, is each commit expected to
be "standalone"? I.e. does it have to apply cleanly without depending on
the previous commits in the patchset?
Again this is not mentioned in the contributing guidelines, but my 2/3
patch didn't make it to patchwork.ffmpeg.org, and this seems like a
plausible explanation.

Thanks in advance,
Manolis