[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Tomas Härdin tjoppen at acc.umu.se
Sun Jul 5 13:27:06 EEST 2020

sön 2020-07-05 klockan 00:10 +0200 skrev Jean-Baptiste Kempf:

> On Sat, Jul 4, 2020, at 23:51, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 11:25:31PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf
> > wrote:
> > [...]
> > > At some point, the project needs to decide what is in and what is
> > > out, and since FFmpeg has numerous APIs, people can plug them
> > > externally. It's not a problem to say "No" to a feature,
> > > especially when, the number of people using that feature is under
> > > 0,01% of FFmpeg users, and when people can build that externally
> > > anyway.
> >
> > what we need is not to say "no" but to say
> > "use this API, implement the module in your own repository, and
> > register your module there"
>
> Once again, Michael, we agree, on this topic.
>
> No, means "not in the ffmpeg repo" does not mean "no, this is not
> useful".

I'd like to express a general agreement with this point. The project
has experienced quite a lot of scope creep lately. We don't have to
accommodate everyone, especially with the finite number of developers
available.

We can encourage people to maintain their own forks of FFmpeg, see for
example FFmbc.

/Tomas