[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Jul 5 00:51:23 EEST 2020

On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 11:25:31PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
[...]
> At some point, the project needs to decide what is in and what is out, and since FFmpeg has numerous APIs, people can plug them externally. It's not a problem to say "No" to a feature, especially when, the number of people using that feature is under 0,01% of FFmpeg users, and when people can build that externally anyway.

what we need is not to say "no" but to say
"use this API, implement the module in your own repository, and register your module there"

So that anyone using FFmpeg no matter if its self build git master or
a 2 year old binary from a linux distribution or something else can
simply and safely build and use compatible filters, formats and so on.
With a simple and standarized command.
That is not the case currently

So when we say "no" currently its really saying "you are out of luck"
and it should not be that way.

thx

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision
of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet
notwithstanding go out to meet it. -- Thucydides