[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sat Jul 4 21:09:27 EEST 2020

Kieran Kunhya (12020-07-04):
> > i do hope the planned technical committee will help with some of the
> > problems you discussed here.
> > But sometimes people are also rather rigid in discussions less interrested
> > to find a good compromise to move forward with and more interrested in
> > "winning" a discussion. That is also not helping and i dont think the
> > technical committee should be seen as the solution to this. Its better
> > people discuss and agree than to go to some arbitration to decide
> >

> The technical committee was created exactly to resolve situations like this.
> Instead of the current case where issues are filibustered or blocked by
> "maintainers".

I am not sure this is all that is needed.

The technical committee can answer for precise questions with a few
alternatives: are A's arguments or B's arguments stronger, and should we
accept or reject the patch as is?

But I do not think it is meant to arbitrate questions about more remote
concerns: do we want the project to go in that direction or this
direction? It is a different kind of decision.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George