[FFmpeg-devel] Status and Plans for Subtitle Filters

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Feb 27 20:44:39 EET 2020

Vittorio Giovara (12020-02-27):
> joking aside, i see nothing wrong in having a bit more granular libraries,
> subtitle handling could be a good example usecase.

Seriously?

$ git grep avpriv | wc -l
1648

This is how much "nothing wrong" we already have because the libraries
are split. And having to maintain ABI stability for private APIs is only
one cause of problems among others.

On the other side, would you be able to quote only one actual, practical
benefit of having several libraries instead of one that could not be
achieved more simply with configure options? I suspect not, because I
have looked for them and not found.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George