[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Built-in documentation API

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Sun Aug 23 23:35:04 EEST 2020

First about this discussion in general:

There is a reason this is tagged RFC and the other thread is called
proposal. I hope we can go on with the vivid discussions while keeping
in mind that it is not yet narrowed down and nothing is decided.

Always constraining all ideas, is not a good way to open up a wide
enough solutions space, to discover a favourable path to take.

On 2020-08-23 20:06 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Hendrik Leppkes (12020-08-23):
> > I would at least want it to be optional.
>
> Of course.

Yes, I always had in mind to make it optional too.

We must even differentiate a bit more. Currently we have some parts
of the documentation embedded already, namely AVOption.help etc.

May plan was first not to change that. So no difference to how things
are now.

For further improvements I thought about giving the option to embed
more (or to embed more and give the option to turn it off).

And to also give an option to exclude most/all documentation, including
AVOption.help if it seems worthwhile. Your application might also not
need that, right?

Anyway I think we should be careful while evaluating the options of
excluding or including more documentation. It should be measured how
the proportions are right now, and how it would change. I'm definitely
against just implementing something because some people think it is a
great idea.

> Also, it would be a new build-dep, it must be optional for that reason
> too. Although it would make harder to eliminate the descriptions in the
> source files like Alexander wants.

Couldn't look at your RFC in detail yet. I'm not sure why there
wouldn't be a way to eliminate those, while making embedding more
documentation optional.

Best regards,
  Alexander