[FFmpeg-devel] Documentation: proposed changes in the structure

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-dev at jdlh.com
Sun Aug 23 00:09:12 EEST 2020

On  Fri Aug 21 15:35:38 EEST 2020,  Nicolas George wrote:
 > 1. What would you think about putting the documentation for
 >     libavfilter/vf_foobar.c into libavfilter/doc/vf_foobar.texi …
 > 2. What would you think about switching from texinfo to a small basic
 >     subset of HTML for new documentation? …
 > 3. What would you think about using pandoc for processing the
 >     documentation? …
 > 4. What would you think about including the documentation for components
 >     into the libraries? …

I can see the merit of breaking a huge doc file into per-component
files, especially if they are easier to relate to the corresponding
source code. I can see that some kind of Markdown might be easier to
write than Texinfo syntax.

But let me ask a high-level question: what is the goal which these
changes will serve? How does this the result of this work make the
FFmpeg project better?

Over on ffmpeg-user, there has been an interesting discussion[1] about
FFmpeg's documentation, and what improvements people would like to
see[1][2][3][4]. There are quite a few suggestions[4]. A few  points
seem worth highlighting here:

1. There is consensus that cross-links are a valuable tool. They help
achieve both full description and brevity. So, it seems to me that
excellent cross-link tools are an important feature we should look for
in any documentation markup language. How does the markup define a link
target? How does that link target map to a URL? Can that URL stay
consistent as the surrounding doc changes? How does the markup define a
link source?  Does the doc compiler handle those links well? Will those
links stay intact as the surrounding doc changes? Can that link markup
be derived from doc in C code?

2. There are a number of people volunteering to write documentation. If
"recruiting more writers" is a goal, how do these changes make that goal
easier or harder?

3. A number (but not all) of the volunteers identified the git workflow
as a perceived obstacle.  How do these changes make that crossing that
obstacle easier or harder?

I don't have strong feelings about this specific proposal. I do think
that attention to high-level goals for FFmpeg documentation would add a
lot of value to the project.

Cheers,
      —Jim DeLaHunt

[1] http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2020-August/049718.html