[FFmpeg-devel] Documentation: proposed changes in the structure

Oneric oneric at oneric.de
Fri Aug 21 22:42:57 EEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 14:46:53 +0200, Timo Rothenpieler wrote:
> Something like Markdown would come to mind. It should have all formatting
> tools one needs for documentation.

Imho ReStructuredText would be better suited for documentation than Markdown,
while being similarly "text-like".
Unlike Markdown, RST has a clear spec, supports automatic table of contents
and citations etc. While this might be a matter of preference, RST's tables
and hyperlinks are also better than Markdown's imho.
I don't know how RST compares to texinfo though.

Current users of RST are Python and the Linux Kernel among others.

As for rendering support:
Rendering RST is supported by GitHub and afaik also GitLab. Gitea can support
rendering rst, but it needs an external renderer and a bit of configuration.

(I'm mostly following the ML (-or some parts of it at least-) out of interest;
 if you decide on Markdown that's fine by me.
 I just thought it might be worth to point out RST as an option.)