[FFmpeg-devel] Documentation: proposed changes in the structure

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Fri Aug 21 15:35:38 EEST 2020

1. What would you think about putting the documentation for
   libavfilter/vf_foobar.c into libavfilter/doc/vf_foobar.texi instead
   of into huge doc/filters.texi (25k lines!)? And same for codecs,
   formats, etc.

   We can adopt this for new documentation and move progressively
   existing components.

2. What would you think about switching from texinfo to a small basic
   subset of HTML for new documentation?

   I think most of us are much more familiar with HTML syntax than with
   texinfo.

3. What would you think about using pandoc for processing the
   documentation?

4. What would you think about including the documentation for components
   into the libraries? It would allow GUI applications to present it in
   dialog boxes, like spreadsheets do with their math functions.

(4 certainly depends on 2, because texinfo is nos suited for that use;
and probably in part on 1.)

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George