[FFmpeg-devel] RTSP Video Stream - Buffer Overflow!

Andriy Gelman andriy.gelman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 03:44:51 EEST 2020

Hi Yeet,

On Mon, 17. Aug 12:21, Yiğit (Yeet) Uyan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> RTSP/S links longer than 1024 characters are failing due to a buffer
> overflow issue happening when parsing RTSP links (eg. ffplay <rtsp link>).
> FFmpeg has a buffer definition in libavformat/Rtsp.h, where it defines the
> control_uri as 1024 characters.
>
> RTSP/S links follow a similar pattern to common web URIs, i.e.
> <rtsps://my.camera.server:port/...>, and in many cases these links are
> generated, routed and modified by common underlying web infrastructure. The
> common conception for the web when parsing a URI is to expect up to 2000
> characters.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/417142/what-is-the-maximum-length-of-a-url-in-different-browsers
>
> The link above is for browsers, but it is very similar in many other web
> technologies as well.
>
> Can somebody help with extending the rtsp/s link limit to match the web
> urls (eg. 2048 characters)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> I have created and submitted the following patch to ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org,
> though it does not show up in patchwork. I am not sure what the following
> steps are..

Patches sent as an attachment need to have a text/x-diff or
text/x-patch MIME type for patchwork.

Your original patch was octet/stream, which is why it was skipped.

Saying that, not everyone uses patchwork and the ML is primary way to keep
track.

Some more developer notes are in:
https://ffmpeg.org/developer.html

--