[FFmpeg-devel] Extending ffmpeg hwaccel list

Mark Clayton blakktux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 09:58:07 EEST 2020

Hello,

I have an Nvidia Jetson Nano, which while having CUDA does not feature an
nvenc capable encoder.  Instead, a high level API using L4T (
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t-multimedia/classNvVideoConverter.html)
is supported.

It’s been a while and it seems that this device is not popular enough to
warrant an ffmpeg patch, so I’m inclined to write one myself.  There exists
a working encode/decode patch (https://github.com/jocover/jetson-ffmpeg)
not using the hwaccel headers.

Is writing atop a high level api (first link) appropriate for a hwaccel
class, and if so where can I find documentation for how existing
accelerators (vaapi, nvenc) are skeletoned?  I’m a decent C programmer but
have not contributed to ffmpeg before.