[FFmpeg-devel] movtext decode/encode improvements

John Stebbins jstebbins at jetheaddev.com
Fri Apr 10 02:28:49 EEST 2020

On Thu, 2020-04-09 at 14:00 -0700, Philip Langdale wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 19:30:53 +0000
> John Stebbins <jstebbins at jetheaddev.com> wrote:
> > Pushed to https://github.com/jstebbins/FFmpeg/commits/movtext
> >
> > There's one additional patch on the top implementing what we
> > discussed
> > about highlight alpha updates.  Should I send that to the ml as
> > well?
> >

> The new one looks good too, so I will merge it along with the others.
>
> Thanks for all of this work! It's a big set of improvements for the
> movtext handling! I'm guessing the motivation was to be able to
> switch
> Handbrake to using these instead of some other library?

Essentially yes.  We've had our own mov text encoder and decoder in
HandBrake for years.  I added support for using ffmpeg for decoding
subtitles last year but the movtext decoder wasn't up to the same level
as ours, so we weren't using ffmpeg for that yet. I'm following up that
work from last year to add subtitle encoding with ffmpeg and dropping
our decoder and encoder for mov text.

I'm also almost finished writing a PGS subtitle encoder for ffmpeg ;)