[FFmpeg-devel] Add sample_aspect_ratio and frame_rate to AVCodecParserContext

Markus Pfau pfau at peak3d.de
Tue Sep 10 15:31:41 EEST 2019

we use av_parser to extract stream information for custom demuxers (e.g.
live-tv broadcasts) to extract stream information the custom demuxer
does not provide.
This is for example codec extra data / width / height for video, and
sample rate for audio:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDDemuxers/DVDDemuxClient.cpp#L134-L182

To set up the initial display properly (even for h/w decoders where
ffmpeg does not do the decoding, android MediaCodec for example), we
would like to have the pixel_aspect_ratio and if possible the frame_rate.
av_parser already resolves SPS / VUI to put width / height into the
AVCodecParserContext. from technical POV its a few lines of code to add
the fields.

I want to start the discussion here, and if there are chances for
implementation, I could do this.