[FFmpeg-devel] blended telecine... possible?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 01:48:50 EEST 2019

On 09/04/2019 03:09 AM, Kieran Kunhya wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2019, 07:34 Kieran O Leary, <kieran.o.leary at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 4 Sep 2019, 04:09 Mark Filipak, <
>> markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No one has responded. What does that indicate? Lack of interest? Lack of
>>> knowledge? Lack of time? Shunning of anyone who's not a current
>> developer?
>>>

>> You didn't wait very long for a reply, also you wrote to the development
>> list which is purely for posting patches/new code. You should write to
>> ffmpeg-user instead.
>>

> It would help if you also explained the notation you are using.

It is a notation I cooked up to uniquely describe all the myriad types
of streams. Feel free to poach it.

[...] - an output field (note: no '/')
[.../...] - an output frame (note: '/')
[A] - a field that contains the odd lines from a source frame 'A'.
[a] - a field that contains the even lines from a source frame 'A'.
[A/a] - a frame that contains interleaved lines from fields [A] & [a].

i30-telecast =
[A][a][B][b][C][c][D][d][E][e]
// 10 discrete fields as they come from an NTSC camera. It represents
1/6th second of stream.

p24 =
[A/a][B/b][C/c][D/d]
// 4 frames (1/6th second) as they are sampled from film.

i30-telecine =
[A][a][B][b][B][c][C][d][D][d]
// 10 fields (1/6th second) of telecined film frames (2-3 pull-down).

p30-telecine =
[A/a][B/b][B/c][C/d][D/d]
// 5 frames (progressive) of telecined film frames.

p30-telecine-blend
[A/a][AB/b][BC/bc][C/cd][D/d]
// 5 frames (progressive) of telecined film frames that have been
blended as follows:

[A/a] - the untouched frame0 of the film.
[AB/b] - a synthesized frame that takes the even lines from film [b] but
takes the odd lines from film [A] & film [B] by interleaving samples:
ABABAB...
[BC/bc] - a synthesized frame that interleaves even lines from bcbcbc...
and odd lines from BCBCBC...
[C/cd] - well, you probably catch on by now...

My question is: Can ffmpeg do p30-telecine-blend? and if so, what lib
has it and how do I invoke it? I have looked at 'fieldhint', but it
can't interleave samples (aka: pixels). It solely can assemble an output
frame from input fields.