[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg-qsv: Is opaque memory allocation path used in ffmpeg-qsv?

Rogozhkin, Dmitry V dmitry.v.rogozhkin at intel.com
Fri Oct 25 00:17:16 EEST 2019

On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 17:12 +0200, Max Dmitrichenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just have a look at any usage as: ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv .......

I looked into these 3 command lines on Linux:

ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -c:v h264_qsv -i AUD_MW_E.264  \
       -vf hwdownload,format=nv12 -pix_fmt yuv420p \
       AUD_MW.yuv

ffmpeg -hwaccel qsv -c:v h264_qsv -i AUD_MW_E.264 \
       -c:v hevc_qsv -b:v 5M AUD_MW_E.hevc

ffmpeg -init_hw_device qsv=hw     \
       -filter_hw_device hw -f rawvideo -pix_fmt  \
       yuv420p -s:v 176x144 -i AUD_MW.yuv -vf     \
       hwupload=extra_hw_frames=64,format=qsv     \
       -c:v h264_qsv -b:v 5M -frames:v 10         \
       -y ./AUD_MW_E.h264

For what I see, none of the them is using QSV opaque memory. For the
first 2 command lines ffmpeg explicitly prints (w/ -loglevel debug):

[h264_qsv @ 0x34f6980] Decoder: output is video memory surface

Besides, I checked w/ manual printfs from the code - opaque is not
used.

Hence, this question: is actually qsv opaque memory path used anywhere
in ffmpeg.exe sample or in other libavcodec/libavfilter based
applications? Is there Linux/Windows difference which I don't notice in
code review?

Dmitry.