[FFmpeg-devel] headers for gapless playback

John Kaplan jkaplan2 at pandora.com
Tue Nov 19 21:16:13 EET 2019

Hi Guys,

We just did some research on gapless playback across multiple client devices, and could not find support for adding gapless metadata headers in ffmpeg. Our interest is specifically in AAC/MP4, and we ended up shifting to the fdk-aac package, which exposes options for adding moov/edts/elst headers (which are the ones we used) as well as iTunSMPB.

So, I wanted to open a discussion with the team on ffmpeg support for gapless metadata.
I’m not sure if you guys have discussed before, so here are a few opening questions to get me up to speed…

  1.  Does ffmpeg support addition of gapless metadata in any form currently, and we missed the doc as to how to specify it?
  2.  If not, have you discussed previously? If so, what were the results? (I.e. rejected as evil, put on roadmap but in future, currently in development, etc.)
  3.  If support is still in the future, would you be open to me contributing a patch that implements it?

Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks,
John