[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion of all-inclusive full stack builds

Tim Jones tolistim at gmail.com
Sun May 12 22:07:42 EEST 2019

On May 12, 2019, at 11:54 AM, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> Tim Jones (12019-05-12):
>
>> --disable-all-proprietary/--enable-all-proprietary
>
> As for this one, on the other hand, there will be opposition: we do not
> want encourage users to use proprietary software. In fact, there is
> currently a discussion to refuse including new proprietary components,
> and possibly getting rid of the ones we included without thinking.

I don't want to start a thread war here, but isn't the purpose of any toolchain to allow for the support of a given task?  If there isn't a FOSS option and an easily obtained proprietary solution exists, why block it?

This is one of the things I hear from new Linux users when running into the FOSS vs. proprietary brick walls - they just want a platform that works.  The FUD that is continuously promoted concerning adding non-FOSS components - Nvidia drivers, ATTO drivers, HighPoint drivers, custom audio device drivers - has caused a number of potentially large Linux opportunities to move to Windows.

I've long been a proponent of FOSS where it is apropos, but I also understand Heinlein's TNSTAAFL :) .

--
Tim