[FFmpeg-devel] movie Filter reload Option

TalkVideo at TalkVideo.net TalkVideo at TalkVideo.net
Thu May 9 02:26:16 EEST 2019

Please see this (very Short) thread for background. It is
incorporated here.

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2019-May/243721.html

The drawtext Filter has a reload Option, and when I use overlay
with a PNG Image, like so:
-f image2 -loop 1 -i overlay.png

I can manipulate the overlay by changing out the PNG File while
the ffmpeg command is running.  (It works with RTMP sending to YouTube).

I can make it "disappear" by copying a 1-pixel alpha PNG Image into
the "overlay.png" file.

I can manipulate the displayed drawtext in real-time by changing the contents of the
"textfile" the drawtext filter uses when the "reload" option is set.

So far, so good.

What about doing the same with a video. That means that the movie filter
would reload (or at least check) the file specified as input to that filter, with each run
of the loop if a reload option was set, perhaps. ffmpeg appears to read that file once, at inception.

Is there currently a way to accomplish this or would one have to add that to he code?

Thanks.