[FFmpeg-devel] patch for a new H.264 codec with Matrox m264 card.

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 22:18:55 EET 2019

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 22:40, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> No need to Cc me, I am subscribed to the list.
>
> Yufei He (12019-03-28):
> > In windows, we need provide the interface library mvM264.lib to our
> > customers so that they can build. But driver installation of the card
> > does not have the interface library. It just install mvM264.dll.
> >
> > We call dlopen to load mvM264.dll on runtime.  It's simpler. That's
> > the way we are doing now in other projects..
>
> It may be simpler for your infrastructure, but it is not simpler for
> FFmpeg users, and it actually feels like a deliberate attempt at
> circumventing the license.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
>   Nicolas George

It's actually a deliberate attempt at circumventing the license.
Clearly that dynamic library *can* be built from source, as its' separable
from the device driver.
What's preventing Matrox from releasing this library such that users can
build it themselves?
And why should FFmpeg  inherit the maintenance burden of dealing with an
opaque ABI whose breakage is guaranteed with version bumps?