[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg classification

Peter Ross pross at xvid.org
Wed Jul 17 11:04:56 EEST 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 10:10:13AM +0900, Maaya Murakami (JP) wrote:
> Hello
>
> Hope all is well.
> Currently I am researching about the trends of FFmpeg and its supporting
> codecs, and in order to do so I am trying to classify FFmpeg codecs into
> different types. Are there meaningful categories to classify these codes
> other than video/audio or lossy/lossless?

Yes, there are other ways to classify them.

blocked-based, or not.
multi-thread capable, or not.
has assembler optimisations, or not.
is direct render capable, or not
standard derived or reverse engineered <- more of a numerical scale than categorical variable

Whether these classifications are meaningful is entirely up to you.

-- Peter
(A907 E02F A6E5 0CD2 34CD 20D2 6760 79C5 AC40 DD6B)