[FFmpeg-devel] Lossy GIF encoding

Fri Feb 15 11:01:40 EET 2019

Hello!

I'm working on implementing lossy gif encoding, and I'd like to hear your opinion on how to best integrate it with ffmpeg in a way that would be acceptable for inclusion in the project.

Lossy encoding is done by making LZW use approximate matching, and with the right input it can halve GIF file sizes. I've previously implemented it for gifsicle: https://kornel.ski/lossygif

The main problem I have now is that the existing GIF codec receives frames already converted to AV_PIX_FMT_RGB8 or similar 8-bit format. When working with 8bpp heavily-dithered input, the lossy compression struggles to find runs of similar pixels, so it isn't very effective.

For proper, high-quality lossy encoding I would need access full-quality input, ideally something like 24/32-bit RGB/A. However, I don't know if it's possible to do that within the existing GIF codec implementation.

libavcodec/gif.c in ff_gif_encoder.pix_fmts seems to passively declare types of pixel formats it accepts. Is this list fixed? Could it be made varying depending on flags? I'm thinking that if user sets a flag that opts in into lossy encoding, the codec should request AV_PIX_FMT_RGBA input instead of the 8-bit inputs (or both at the same time, if that's possible).

Alternatively, would it be OK to create a separate codec just for lossy compression? I would create a new GIF codec, define it under a new name, and declare it always takes AV_PIX_FMT_RGB24 or AV_PIX_FMT_RGBA. Is that a good approach?

--
Kind regards, Kornel