[FFmpeg-devel] configure: Fix decklink license dependency

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Feb 8 23:51:55 EET 2019

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019, at 22:27, Elliott Balsley wrote:
> > But this is a different case than nvenc.
>
> How is it different? Nvenc links against  libraries in the proprietary
> Nvidia driver, for which source is not available. This is fine since
> Nvidia library is considered to be a system library under GPL. So why is
> Blackmagic not considered a system library?

I'm probably missing something, but my understand was that nvenc was just calling the actual driver with a few trampoline functions. The kernel module is compilable, but the actual driver is not open source, and installed with the machine, but is called from the kernel module. Both are system libraries.

The Decklink part is similar, but has one extra layer of non-open source libraries that one need to install, and needs to be linked to.
And it's also very confusing in addition, because of the EULA and the SDK license.

Yes, it's similar, but no, it's not similar, because everything Decklink is confusing, and a mess.

Also, see the RE-ing clause of the LGPL for the Decklink library.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734